Quinoa Vegetable Sushi with a Spicy Chickpea-Tahini Sauce
This recipe was inspired by the fact that my husband loves to make sushi at home. He would live on sushi rice if he could, but I thought of incorporating the quinoa to increase the nutritional value of the meal. What you put into the sushi is up to you. I have used sweet potato, purple sweet potato, steamed asparagus and cooked beets. This is a great way to be creative and use up cooked or raw vegetables. I am a big fan of tahini as it provides so many beneficial functions for our hormones. The spicy combination of chickpeas and some spice is heavenly. We literally have been putting the extra sauce on everything.
4 nori sushi sheets
1/2 Cup of quinoa, rinsed and drained (it doesn’t matter what color quinoa)
2 Tablespoons of rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon of maple syrup
1 teaspoon of arrowroot
1 sweet potato roasted, cooled and cut up into several pieces
1 avocado, peeled and cut lengthwise into several slices
Scallion cut up into roughly 3” strips
- In a small saucepan, boil 1 cup of water for the quinoa, add, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Put aside.
- In a bowl add rice vinegar, maple syrup and arrowroot. Mix well and add into the quinoa stirring well. Let cool and set aside
- Wrap your sushi mat in plastic to make this easier on yourself with less cleanup. Once the quinoa has cooled to room temperature, lay your mat on the counter. Place the nori sheet lengthwise on the mat. Spoon about 1/3 Cup of quinoa onto the nori. Use your fingers to cover the nori and press down to distribute evenly but leave a 1” boarder at the top and bottom edges. Use 1/4 of your vegetables strips and lay over the quinoa.
- From the bottom, life the edge and roll the sheet over the vegetables, tuck as you go and roll as tightly as you can. When you get to the end, wet the edge with water and seal your roll.
- I find it helps to cut the sushi pieces with a sharp knife. Try dipping in water to ensure no sticking and a smooth cut.
Spicy Chickpea Tahini Sauce
1 Cup of cooked chickpeas (if canned, drain and rinse well)
2 Tablespoons of tahini
1/2 Cup of water, divided
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon of sweet chili sauce or sub sriracha or other hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a blender cup and blend until smooth. Use 1/4 Cup of water at a time until you achieve a creamy consistency. Garnish your sushi rolls with the spicy sauce and enjoy!