Lentils, Veggies and Rice with Tahini Sauce
6-8 servings: Extras can be frozen
2-12oz bags of frozen riced vegetables or about 6 cups of riced vegetables of choice
Olive oil/avocado oil pump spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow or red onion diced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 cup of brown lentils
3 cups of vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of long grain rice or brown rice
Fresh parsley chopped
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons of tahini
About 1/4 Cup of water
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
This is the perfect meal for when you start introducing beans back into your routine. These tiny legumes are easy on the digestive tract. This meal scores high in nutritional value. Lentils contain powerhouse plant-based nutrients such as protein and fiber. Lentils are also a great source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium, folate, potassium and zinc. Rice and lentils are a typical vegan, gluten-free meal but taken to that higher plant-based level with riced vegetables added in. Buying frozen riced vegetables is a huge time-saver as I always encourage stocking up things like this to help you out in a pinch.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a parchment lined sheet pan w/ a light spray coating of oil, add 2 bags of frozen riced vegetables of choice. I used riced broccoli and sweet potato. You can put them in the oven frozen, slightly thawed or thawed. If you choose to thaw completely, this will cut down on your cook time. I usually cook for about 35-40 minutes to evaporate the excess water and get a finished product that is nicely browned. This will require you to move the vegetables around ever 15-20 minutes in the oven. You can also sauté these vegetables in a pan, but it tends to get very mushy and will change the outcome of your dish.
Move to the side when completed.
2. In a large pot, sauce the onion with olive oil for about 2-3 minutes, add cumin and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes stirring constantly so that the cumin does not stick or burn. Add the lentils, salt, bay leaves and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add the rice, stir in, cover and simmer for an additional 12-15 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Remove from heat and let sit for an additional 5 minutes. Add in cooked riced vegetables and fold to distribute evenly.
4. Add tahini, water and nutritional yeast to small blender cup (for best smooth and creamy results) or blender. Process till smooth and creamy
5. Serve your lentil dish with tahini sauce, fresh parcel and freshly squeezed lemon.